This is a wonderfully, flavorful light sauce that pairs well with our Spinach, Garlic & Rosemary Messinessi. The bread crumbs add a nice crunchy topping and can be served as an accompaniment to any of our pastas. The sauce can easily be made vegetarian or vegan by removing the half and half and substituting the chicken stock and butter for vegetable stock (or "Not Chick'n" stock) and Earth Balance.
Ingredients for the White Wine Sauce
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1 Cup dry white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 Cup half and half (optional)
- 2 T butter or Earth Balance
- 1/2 T lemon juice
- freshly ground black pepper and sea salt to taste
Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add shallots and cook for 3 minutes. Add garlic and red chili pepper flakes and cook for another 2 minutes. Stir in wine, add bay leaf and lower heat to simmer. Pour in stock and let simmer for 5 minutes. Add half and half, butter (or Earth Balance) and continue to simmer for 2-3 minutes. Finally, remove the bay leaf, add lemon juice and freshly ground pepper and sea salt to taste.
Ingredients for Parsley Tarragon Breadcrumbs
- 6 slices of bread (almost any type of bread can be used, just make sure it is sliced thin)
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 T dried tarragon
- 1 T dried parsley
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper and sea salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush both sides of the bread slices very lightly with olive oil. Place in the oven and toast each side until lightly golden brown. Place bread in a food processor with the parsley, tarragon and freshly ground pepper and sea salt. Pulse until small crumbs are formed and combined with the herbs.
Cook pasta according to package directions and spoon sauce over the warm pasta. Top with bread crumbs and serve.