This pesto is so fresh and bright. Blanching the chard prior to making the pesto keeps the leaves colorful. Its a wonderful sauce to pair with our organic Radiatore Grande.
Makes 1 1/4 cups of pesto
- 1 bunch rainbow Swiss chard, stems removed, blanched (approx. 6 Cups)
- 1/3 Cup pine nuts
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan cheese (or Vegan Parmesan cheese)
- 1/4 Cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest + more for garnishing
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Prepare a pot of boiling water and a bowl of ice water. Place the chard leaves in the boiling water for two minutes. Remove leaves and immediately plunge in the ice water. Drain chard leaves and place in a food processor along with all other ingredients except the olive oil. Pulse once to combine. Drizzle the olive oil through the top of the processor while pulsing to incorporate the oil. The different colors of the rainbow chard are beautiful, and this pesto looks best when it is not pulverized smooth. Serve over freshly cooked pasta and garnish with the remaining lemon zest.